Everything you need to know about the COVID-19 virus and what this is meaning for your Strong Viking ticket(s)!
Update - 16-09-2020
Strong Viking got hit hard by the Corona crisis. Unfortunately we have had to cancel 95% of our editions. Which means that in 2020 we have no income for almost a whole year. Thankfully we were a healthy company and you have already helped us by participating in the Virtual Editions and/or by buying a support shirt. But for a young company like Strong Viking, which has only been invested in for years, this has a huge impact. We want to be transparent and explain what impact this has on us and how we want to come out of this stronger together with you.
If you purchase a Strong Viking ticket, we will spend 60% of that amount as direct operational costs during the edition. These are costs for building and disassembling the obstacles, renting the terrain, hiring staff, medical service, shirts/medals, drinks at the finish etc. The remaining 40% is spent on fixed expenses that we make throughout the year, such as salary costs, storage of materials, rent of offices and warehouses, marketing, etc.
In order to be able to bear these 40% of fixed costs, the government has set up support measures at the start of the corona period. Such as the NOW (compensation of a part of the salary costs) and the TLV (compensation of fixed costs). Strong Viking also receives these compensations for which we are very grateful, but not all costs are covered. With fifteen employees, Strong Viking remains with a substantial cost burden. Many companies/branches were allowed to reopen/start-up after a few months, which means that these costs will not increase very much. However, in the case of Strong Viking these costs have continued for twelve months now. In order to maintain the quality and experience of Strong Viking, we hope for your help/support to be able to organize great editions again in 2021!
Yes, contrary to previous communication, everyone has to make a choice about what happens to his/her ticket. This to give everyone the freedom to choose what happens to his/her current ticket.
You need to submit your compensation choice before 01-03-2021. You can then activate your credit for any Strong Viking event of your choice until 31-10-2021.
The credit code can be activated until 31-10-2021. Please note that the compensation choice must have been made before 01-03-2021.
When you buy a cheaper ticket than your previous ticket, you will receive a new credit code by email after completing the process. The value of the new credit is also described in this mail.
No, the choice has to be made by the mainbooker and needed to be made per order number. So if someone else has bought your ticket, go in consultation with your friends and make sure your choice is passed on by him/her. You can not pass on a choice per ticket, unless you have placed multiple orders.
The mail was sent on Wednesday 16-09-2020 by email@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org. Maybe it ended up in your spambox. If this is not the case send an email to email@example.com and we will send the mail again.
If you really can't choose one of the editions in 2021, we offer the possibility to apply for a refund from February. Then the official calendar for 2021 is final and you can see if you really can't participate in any Strong Viking event before you apply for your refund.
Your parking ticket remains valid for an edition of your choice in 2021. Once the barcode has been scanned the validity will expire. So you can use it once in 2021.
The insurance for your ticket will remain valid for your new ticket in 2021. It is linked to your order number and will therefore automatically go with you to your new 2021 ticket.
Your ticket money has been converted into credits. Any payment, insurance and/or payment costs are not included and may result in a small (extra) additional payment to activate your ticket.